In 1992, the Tacoma City Council created the Neighborhood Council Program, and divided the city into eight designated neighborhoods. Each neighborhood formed an independent, volunteer-led, nonprofit organization -- the neighborhood council -- of residents, business owners, and employees from the neighborhood.
The neighborhood councils advise the City Council on issues important to their neighborhood(s), and seek consensus of the residents to develop a specific mission and activities. They also undertake a wide range of neighborhood improvements including playgrounds, and cooperate with the City to identify and develop solutions to mutual problems. For more information about the city-wide neighborhood council program, click here. The City formerly published s quarterly newsletter, Grapevine, of the neighborhood council program, but ceased in 2012 due to a reduced budget. To see earlier issues, click here.
Central Neighborhood area is "the heart" of Tacoma, bounded, roughly, by 6th Ave., Orchard St., and the Hilltop. Specifically, its eastern boundary is "L" Street from 6th Ave. south to S. 19th St., along S. 19th St. eastward to Tacoma Ave., then south along Tacoma Ave. to Center St. Its boundary on the south is Center St. and Highway 16; on the west is now Orchard St. (prior to Aug. 2014 it was Highway 16); and on the north is 6th Ave. This neighborhood council includes most of the following neighborhood areas: Bryant, Stanley, McCarver, Franklin, Allenmore, Bellarmine, 12th and Proctor, Delong and Foss.
The Central Neighborhood Council meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Tacoma Nature Center, 1919 S. Tyler St, from 7:00 pm 'til about 9:00 pm.
Our mailing address is:
Central Neighborhood Council
PO Box 5201
Tacoma, Washington 98415-0201